What does OWS want?

I was having a conversation with one AMW recently, and he or she was rather critical of the Occupy Wall Street movement, viewing it as an attack on rich people merely because they had accumulated wealth. But, AMW argues, there’s no reason to think that the 1% making lots of money takes money from the other 99%. So there’s no good reason for people to be marching in the streets (or camping in tents, or getting pepper-spray facials, or whatever).

This view of the Occupy movement is fairly common in the media, but it doesn’t stand up to scrutiny. Look around to see what the Occupy folks are demanding. Here’s one list.

1. “[G]et the money out of politics.”

This is exactly the sentiment that AWS endorses: “I think people spending their wealth in order to get the rules written in their favor is a big problem. And I think here we agree. (If the movement were “Occupy K Street” I might just be willing to march.)”

Well (says I), go ahead and march then. You’re saying the same thing the 99% are. Feel free to call yourself OKS, and set up your tent accordingly.

2. “Reform the banking system to prevent fraud and manipulation”

Again, I take it that AWS is in full agreement with this sentiment.

3. “[D]raft laws against the little-known loophole that currently allows members of Congress to pass legislation affecting Delaware-based corporations in which they themselves are investors.

I wouldn’t call this an anti-market position, would you?

So, do you still think that the 99% movement doesn’t speak for you?

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s